Tuesday, June 22, 2010

The Last Few Months in Review

The last few months have been very exciting for me!

My Spinal Cord Injury Support Group at Healthsouth in Sunrise has introduced me to the sport of Handcycling. Achilles International sponsored me and loaned me a Handcycle to use for Marathon racing. This organization was wonderful at accommodating all of my needs for the Marathons.I just completed my third full Marathon February in Ft Lauderdale with a Handcycle! What an exillerating sport and experience. My stepsister Shelly came down from South Carolina to accompany me in the Marathon with her Bicycle. It was so wonderful to have her join me. We used to go Skiing every winter in Lake Tahoe at Heavenly Mountain. That was my favorite sport and we always looked forward to going every year on a special Ski trip together.

Now Handcycling is my favorite sport. It is alot of fun and a great cardiovascular workout. I enjoy the support group I'm a member of and the team spirit when we race in the Marathons. We also went Bowling last month, it was fun!

Friends, neighbors, companies, and organizations have been such a tremendous support to me!

Early this year a kindhearted man came forward, after seeing my story on the news, and offered to rebuild my Kitchen for me to make it handicap accessible! He made custom cabinets and installed a beautiful new kitchen for me with a lower countertop which I selected. So nice !!

I've had a new Carport built through a grant from the Rotary Club of Pompano Beach. I figured if I build it, it'll come, and someday I'll have a Van to park in it. What a blessing to have received a really nice fully modified 2004 Dodge Grand Caravan for a Birthday present from members at my Gracepoint Church! They are so loving, really caring about my needs, and always lending a helping hand! Several members have helped me with my gardening and other projects as well.

I also just received a new Handcycle through a Grant from the Challenged Athletes Foundation. Now I have my own Handcycle too! It came just in
time for my birthday! What an amazing birthday this year. I had a great party I had to celebrate life, love, and friendship! I prepared a homemade Venison Meatsauce over Penne Pasta with Garlic rolls and Garden Salad. I kept my chronic nerve pain away from the adreniline and positive energy flowing that evening. It was a wonderful group of close friends who came to celebrate my birthday with me!

The Center for Independant living gave me a Grant to build Cement Ramps for my home doorways. They also installed a nice railing to go along with them. I've had a friend help to paint the ramps brown for me.

The Kiwanis Club members came forward to help me paint the exterior of my home. They did a fantastic job and my home looks so great. Then they approached local nurseries for donations for a Planting Party. Shade Trees, Palm Trees, and Flowers for a Butterfly garden were all planted!
Some good friends also joined in on the painting and gardening as well. So much team effort !!! I feel such a sense of warmth surround me.

I was just nominated for a Home Beautification Award from the City here of Oakland Park and it was a really fantastic Award Ceremony!
I'm so very blessed to be constantly surrounded by those individuals who care to make a difference in my life. The Award ceremony was at the Oakland Park City Hall and so many people showed up who have helped to beautify my home and also those who have made a positive impact on my life. The Fire Rescue Responders who came to my aid when I was attacked showed up for this award and to wish me well. It was just incredible to see all these people there for me who cared for me! The local news stations also came to report this Award ceremony and the next chapter of my life. Then a close friend treated me to dinner at my favorite restaurant. I doesn't get much better than this! Unless I was walking again....


Staying active helps to keep my mind off of the pain I still suffer from my injuries. I hope that someday the nerve pain will lesson greatly. It's no fun being shot and run over with an SUV!!!!

However, I count my blessing for all that IS good in my life today and everyday. I know that I have so much to be grateful for, and the more I am grateful the more blessings come my way! I keep a positive outlook and always try to remain cheerful no matter how I am feeling physically. 





2 comments:

  1. I'm soooooooo happy that you FINALLY made a new, recent post!!! It looks great, sounds great, and is just great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. After working and re working the departure plan, we finally figured out the logistics and got dropped off a bit late on the coast of New Smyrna Beach. It didn't matter really to me, we dipped our wheels made a video as proof and rolled out.Wheels Florida

    ReplyDelete

 

Made by Lena